Adventure Time!

A blog about the world. According to me. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Please Someone Call 911

Yesterday I found myself in a emergency. There had been an accident in Missouri, the town closest to the school were I am staying, and the cable car that goes over the town had fallen and partially caught fire. There were five people in the car, four men and one woman. The scene was cayotic, people were running everywhere trying to help where they could and trying to gather supplies. As the paramedics arrived they split off and had an average of about two paramedics to one patient. I luckily found myself running around handing out supplies and not dealing with the screaming, crying, delirious patients. The blood was copious and disfigurement stomic turning, every one's adrenalin was pumping. There were patients with burns, patients with back and neck injuries, there was even a patient with a severed hand. It was a very stressful moment to what turned out to be a very long day and, to make the scene even worse it started to rain, rain, rain, rain. I can only be thankful that it was a set up scenario. I am currently taking an emergency first aide course before I go out hiking in a week. The course is very interesting and VERY interactive. I have learned how to preform the Heimlich, do CPR, take blood pressure, recognise life threatening symptoms and illnesses, and deal with the situation above. I have learned all this and the class is only have way over, I can only say it is amazing how many ways humans can hurt themselves. I have gained a new appreciation of how brave, strong, and smart people in medican are. I am truly thankful there are people out there that can and know how to take care of me if ever I should get hurt because the reality is that the world is a big place and there are many, many things that can go wrong. So thank you to all those people out there who do great thing every day, you are amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you had me going. So glad to figure out it was a scenario and not the real thing. Maybe you will end up being an ER tech or a ER doctor? Or a screenwriter for an ER show. WHo knows? Whatever it is you end up doing you will do it fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You had me sucked in too. Nice writing, Sis. You are learning so much valuable stuff. Who knows, it could lead to a career interest. I love that you sincerely thank those who do help others in times of physical crisis. You have a thankful heart.

    ReplyDelete